- Sweet Potatoes uniform size for even baking
- olive oil
- TOPPING POSSIBILITIES--
- Basics salt, freshly ground pepper, butter, sour cream (or yogurt)
- Cheese shredded cheddar/jack, crumbled blue/feta, grated Parmesan; ricotta
- Fresh herbs and seasonings chopped fresh basil, cilantro, oregano, chives or dill; crushed red pepper;
- Meats chili, taco meat, fajita chicken or beef, pulled pork, bacon, chopped ham, salami, meatballs, salmon
- Vegetables chopped scallions or red onions; steamed broccoli, green beans, snow peas, or asparagus; grilled corn; canned beans; chopped fresh tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes; sauteed spinach mushrooms or onions; roasted red peppers; jalapenos; thawed frozen peas; chopped avocado or guacamole; cole slaw
- Sauces & dressings: salsa barbecue sauce; gravy; alfredo sauce; nacho sauce; blue cheese or ranch salad dressing; marinara sauce - or other red Italian sauce; pesto
- Sweets brown sugar, honey, maple syrup
- Toasted Nuts sunflower seeds, pepitas, pecans, almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, peanuts
- Scrub potatoes under water and dry them off.
- Spray or rub potatoes with oil.
- Use a metal fork to poke a few holes in each potato.
- Put potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until soft.
- If baking potatoes ahead for a party, the hot, baked potatoes can be stored in a cooler for up to 4 hours. Preheat the cooler with hot water beforehand; empty and dry it right before adding the hot potatoes.
- When it's time to serve, cut potatoes longways across the top of each potato and squeeze the ends together to open the potato.
- Serve with a variety of toppings.
RECOMMENDED TOPPING COMBINATIONS: Barbecue - cole slaw, pulled pork, and barbecue sauce
Asian flavors - sauteed veggies (snow peas, mushrooms, bean sprouts), peanut sauce or soy sauce, chopped peanuts, chopped cilantro
Cheesecake - low-fat ricotta cheese, honey or brown sugar, toasted nuts (pecans, almonds, or walnuts) for crunch
Sweet Potato Pie - brown sugar or maple syrup, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, pecans Italian - chopped fresh tomatoes, pesto, grated Parmesan, pine nuts
Veggie - One or more steamed or sauteed veggies (asparagus, broccoli, spinach), crumbled feta or blue cheese, chopped scallions, freshly ground black pepper