- 1 pound Dry pinto beans
- 1 small onion coarsely chopped
- 1 ham hock or ham bone
- 1 T Salt
- Pick over the beans for small rocks or debris.
- Rinse well, cover with cold water and soak for 6 hours or overnight
- Transfer beans to a slow cooker or crock pot and add water to cover by one inch.
- Add onion, and ham hock or ham bone. Slow cooker on high until really hot. Reduce temperature to simmer for several hours.
- Check that water still covers the beans. Add more if needed
- Continue to cook until beans are soft and creamy, and the broth is well seasoned and lightly thickened. Ham should fall off the bone but be sure to remove the bone before serving.
Vonnie, would measure the dry beans in a bowl. She was an expert of identifying how many beans to make. She would dump these beans on the table and sort through them to get out the rocks and bad beans, taking three or four beans at a time and slide them back into the bowl that sits on her lap. She was fast.